Now what doesn't hurt you is this scrumptdelicious Spanish Tomato Soup. It is made with some tomatoes from a neighbor. It has been such a warm autumn here in Mallorca that things are going a little haywire. Spring asparagus are popping up, some almond trees are starting to flower a little early, foraging for mushrooms is still going strong and the vegetable gardens are still producing summer delights.
|Use the freshest ingredients possible. If you can't find great fresh tomatoes|
go ahead and use canned whole peeled tomatoes.
|Slice and dice|
|Blanch the tomatoes to peel off the skin|
|Blanching and sauteing|
|Saute until turning a little brown|
|Chop the tomatoes after they have been peeled|
|Add tomatoes to browned vegis|
|Reduce until a nice coat is sticking to the bottom of pan for nice flavoring then add water.|
|Add chickpeas and cook a bit longer, correct seasoning and serve pipping hot|
|I made one large crouton with my homemade whole wheat and rye bread|
Spanish Tomato Soup
Prep Time: 1/2 hour
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
Keywords: appetizer soup gluten-free low-carb nut-free soy-free sugar-free vegan Spanish
Tomatoes are solid cancer fighters. They are loaded with lycopene. Studies show that people who have the highest blood levels of lycopene are at much lower risk of developing various form of cancer including cancers of the cervix, bladder and pancreas. Tomato a day will keep the doctor away.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 tomatoes
- 3 small green peppers
- 1/2 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp spicy paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp curcuma
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 20 threads of saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 4-6 cups water/vegi stock
- 1 cup chickpeas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Blanch the tomatoes and discard the skins then chop.
- Meanwhile, slice peppers, onion, celery and carrots.
- Then saute in 4 - 6 quart heavy pot with olive oil for about 15 mins. or until slightly brown. Add tomatoes and cook for 30 mins. Then add spices and herbs or omit. Cook for additional 3 mins then add wine and cook 5 mins to reduce and cook off the alcohol. Then add water or stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 1/2 hour. Add chickpeas and cook for another 15 mins. Add salt and pepper and serve nice and hot.