Friday, December 16, 2011

Oatmeal with Blueberries, Walnuts and Cinnamon

So this morning after taking our 3 dogs for a walk, well one is ours and the other 2 we are foster caring for until we find a home for them.  There is only one problem, I am falling in love with the little Chauaua (I don't know how to spell Chawawa and I'm not looking it up) and Whippet mix.  But please don't tell my macho male friends because they just won't understand.  His name is Speedy and he makes me laugh all day and keeps me warm at night, while my wife is back in the states.  As I was saying, after the walk I sat down in the kitchen with my laptop and began surfing the net looking for information about diet and cancer as I do everyday and came across an article from www.everydayhealth.com titled, "Eat Your Way to a Longer Life.  They list something like 10 ingredients to help you live longer and healthier.  Two of the ingredients jumped out at me, Oatmeal and Blueberries.  And because I still had not eaten breakfast yet I thought I would give it a try.  The oatmeal and blueberries was a great idea but I felt it needed just a bit mo lovin.  So I added walnuts and cinnamon to the mix and holy cow, I thought I was in heaven.  What a combo.  This breakfast is packed full of cancer fighting goodness.
Oatmeal is one of the best sources of soluble fibre.
Blueberries In addition to vitamins and minerals, blueberries, like many other brightly colored berries, are a terrific source of antioxidants, natural compounds that are thought to decrease inflammation, guard your cells against damage from free radicals, and reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Walnuts   In traditional chinese medicine the walnut is believe to strengthen the kidney and help against asthma.  Walnuts are believed to help lose weight because they take a long time to digest and keeps you feeling full.
Cinnamon helps insulin to work more efficiently.


The only thing I left out is the water


The blueberries pop and their juice turns the oatmeal a soft dark red color

Oatmeal with Blueberries, Walnuts and Cinnamon
by Jeff Harter
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Keywords: breakfast low-carb soy-free sugar-free vegan vegetarian


Simple, healthy and delicious! How can you go wrong with ingredients like these.
Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
Instructions
Some people like their oatmeal runny, I like mine thick, so adjust the water accordingly. Bring the water to a boil then add oatmeal and cook for 2 mins then add the rest of the ingredients and cook until desired consistency 3-5 mins longer stirring regularly. Remember the oatmeal will still get thicker once taken away from heat. Split between 2 bowls and enjoy!
My dog Bauza and I going for a hike on the coast of Mallorca


Apples top most contaminated produce list


From wikinews this morning I also read "According to the United States-based Environmental Working Group (EWG), apples rank as the most contaminated fruit and vegetable produce."


No comments:

Post a Comment