However, when the family is here in Mallorca visiting I am super busy being their private chef and manny. I really enjoy this work but I have very little time for anything else. So writing in my blog just really doesn't happen when La Familia is here. I did write down some of the recipes that I prepared for them on this visit though. They are healthy vegan recipes that I am sure you will enjoy.
The first soup I prepared for them is this great pureed Beetroot Soup with Apple and Ginger. Beetroot is a rich source of antioxidants and nutrients. Beetroot has betaine which may help fight liver disease. Beetroot has been shown to lower blood pressure. All and all beetroot is just darn good for ya!
Beetroot Soup with Apples and Ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onion chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 leek chopped
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/8 celery root chopped
- 1 red apple cored and chopped
- 5 medium beets peeled and chopped
- 2 liters water/vegi stock
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Place a medium size pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and heat for 2 minutes.
- Then add the onions and carrots and saute for 10 minutes.
- Next add the leek, shallot, celery root and apple and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour until everything is soft.
- Take out the cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaves.
- Pour ingredients into the blender in 2-3 batches and blend thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or cold