A friend of ours told us a story the other day. She and her family are fishetarians. They only eat fish on rare occasions. So the lunches that she packs for her two children are almost always vegetarian. And they don't drink milk. But a new law has been passed where teachers have the right to look inside any students lunch box and if it does not have the proper food items as required by law, such as Milk and some form of animal protein, then the child is forced to line up and grab a school lunch. This is the power they have over the individual in our society. And those cute little milk cartons for the children have several tablespoons of sugar in them just to make sure your children will love milk.
And what about the soft drink companies being allowed to have their machines in school cafeterias and become large sponsors in high school sports. This should not be allowed.
The system that exists now is a waste of taxpayers money and is very damaging to our health. The problem is because the government has been combined with academia and industry. Industry provides funding for the public health reports and then the academic stars with strong industry ties help develop the reports. And then of course a revolving doors exists between government jobs and industry jobs. The system is so tarnished with power and greed that I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to health, the government is not for the people. But I am for the people and that is why I am sharing with you this superduper healthy appetizer. Enjoy and eat as many as you like because you know it is healthy for you and your family!
|Dig'em out and fill'em|
|You need a mellon baller|
|Mixes well with others|
Cucumber Cups with Tabbouleh
Prep Time: 1 hour
Keywords: appetizer low-carb nut-free soy-free sugar-free vegan vegetarian bulgar Mediterranean
These little cucumber cups are a party favorite. Easy, fun and tasty not to mention very healthy for you as well.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup bulgar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1 large tomate halved, seeded and chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 long and skinny cucumbers
- First cook the Bulgar.
- Bring the water to a boil then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer over medium heat for seven minutes. Take off heat and let sit 5 minutes then strain in a fine mesh strainer.
- Take out the bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cloves.
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients with the drained bulgar and mix well.
- Peel the cucumber the cut in to about 2 inch sections.
- Next using a melon baller take out the center of the cucumber.
- When that is complete fill the center of the cucumber with Tabbouleh.
- Place in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour to chill.
- Place 3 or 4 on a plate with a little green salad in the middle of the plate if desired.