This little morning creation came out much better than I thought. It was probably because of the super fresh eggs that I picked up from the mountain estate were I work. There are 12 chicken up there that have a little chicken coup but they are usually always out and about picking at little morsels in the ground. These chickens must be very happy because these are the best eggs I have every eaten!If you have a little spot for chickens and the climate allows you,you really should look into making the small investment of having chickens. Then you don't have to worry about hormones, antibiotics or what ever else they feed them. Not to mention the terrible living conditions of these poor animals. You can't believe the difference.
Vegetarian Chili with Poached Eggs
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: breakfast vegetarian sugar-free nut-free low-carb eggs Southwest
We had some left over chili the following day and fresh eggs from the mountain estate where I work so I came up with this little slant on Huevos Rancheros.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 cups Vegetarian Chili
- 2 avocados halved and sliced
- 8 organic eggs
- 4 slices whole wheat/dark bread
- Reheat chili to a boil then take off the heat and cover.
- Bring 4 quarts salted water to a simmer.
- Add 4 eggs and poach until desired doneness.
- Repeat with remaining 4 eggs.
- Meanwhile, toast 4 or 8 slices of toast depending on size.
- Divide toast between 4 plates and place 1 cup of chili on each piece or pieces of toast then the sliced avocado and then top with 2 eggs and sprinkle with salt and pepper.