|When you add vegis to the oil you want to hear "Tsssss"|
|Brown the vegis slightly|
|Reduce the sauce|
amazement we wound up in heaven. I don't
normally say this about my food but this was one of the best pastas I have ever eaten!
|One of the best pastas I have ever eaten!|
Spicy Winter Putanesca Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Keywords: saute appetizer entree side gluten-free low-carb nut-free soy-free sugar-free Mediterranean fall winter
Deep robust flavors makes this pasta sauce a winter miracle. It can be used with any pasta of your choice. However, I made it with a whole wheat penne pasta with just a sprinkle of some parm. This mean sauce is packed full of anti-cancer vegetables. Tomatoes and peppers are rich in lycopene that may help to prevent various forms of cancer. Onions, garlic, shallots, cabbage all help with the fight in beating cancer.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 8 large mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup butternut squash diced
- 1 med. eggplant diced
- 1 med. zucchini diced
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp curcuma
- ½ tbsp. sweet paprika
- ½ tbsp. hot paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ head of Chinese lettuce
- 1 large tomato diced
- 8 spanish anchovies chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup vegi broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
- Place large deep saute pan over medium heat and heat for 3 mins.
- Then add the olive oil and heat for 2 mins.
- Then add onions, mushrooms and red peppers and cook for 5 mins stirring frequently as with the rest of the ingredients.
- Then add butternut squash, eggplant and zucchini and cook for 10 mins.
- Then add shallots, garlic and all of the spices and herbs and cook for 5 mins.
- Next add cabbage, tomato and anchovies and cook 5 mins.
- Add red wine and cook for 5 mins
- Finally add vegi broth, salt and pepper and cook for 1/2 hour moving with a wooden spoon often.
- Right before serving add parsley.
- This can be used with pasta or sorta like a ratatouille as a side dish. It also could be put in rice like for a paella or add more vegi stock and serve as a soup.