The word is starting to spread more and more with the help of the internet. Books are coming out like "The Omnivore's Dilemma"and "Fast Food Nation"or "The China Study"and "Anticancer, A New Way Of Life". Movies are coming out on the subject as well. Two great movies on the subject are "The Beautiful Truth" and "Forks Over Knives". If you are willing to hear this other side of this story then you mostly likely will agree that there is a problem with our general health as a society. You need to make that decision for yourself. Do I buy that frozen low fat pizza and diet Coke so I can watch my favorite TV show or do I buy the ingredients for this Quinoa Winter Salad and spend an hour cooking for me and my family and miss the show. It's your choice. Pay now or pay later.
Quinoa Winter Salad with Cabbage, Apple & Almonds
Prep Time: 1/2 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: raw appetizer salad side gluten-free low-carb soy-free sugar-free vegan vegetarian quinoa
Quinoa is a complete protein. Making it a great animal protein substitute. It's a good source of dietary fiber as well as vitamins and minerals. Combined with all of these raw vegetables and your body can't help but feel good!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 1/4 sweet onion diced
- 1 small precooked beetroot diced
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh orange/tangerine juice
- 2 tbsp apple vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 orange/tangerine
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Purchase quinoa that has had the saponin coating removed. Then all you have to do is rinse it.
- Next put all the ingredients in a large pot over medium high heat until it starts to boil then reduce heat so that a nice gentle simmer occurs.
- Cook for about 15 mins. Strain and rinse in cold water and let drain.
- Mix vegetables with the quinoa.
- Put all ingredients in a large glass jar with a lid and close tight.
- Then shake vigorously for 1 minute.
- Pour over salad and mix well.
- Serve with slices of orange and shredded cabbage.