Monday, February 13, 2012

Organic Wholewheat Brown Bread with Flaxseeds and Raisins

Learning to change can be one of the major contributors to overcoming cancer.  And the first thing you need to change is your "terrain".  That is to say your Mind, Body and Spirit.  But isn't this something we all should be conscious of anyways?  In modern times we have become addicted to work, the TV, playstation and the internet.  We come home from work exhausted, pop a meal in the microwave, crack open a beer and sit in front of the boob tube for the rest of the night and start all over the next day.  And then wonder at around 50 years old how did I get so unhealthy.
I grew up in Boulder Colorado in the 70's and 80's with a hippy Mom recently divorced and searching for Nirvana.  She forced us to be vegetarians.  She was practicing yoga.  She followed the teachings of a yogi. She taught me about meditation and Karma.  She would read Buddha, Gandhi and other spiritual leaders.
And then after college I got a sales job and the owner of the company would give me self-help tapes to listen too while driving from sales call to sales call.  I have always been very active in sports. So I was very fortunate to have be introduced to this way of thinking and lifestyle at a young age.  Body, Mind, Spirit.  The more I know the less I know.  Do onto other as they would do onto you.  Your body is your temple.  Always searching and learning to become a better person.
My diet got out of hand a little bit because I have been cooking basically what ever I have wanted to over the past 20 years and I love sweets.  I also love good white bread and good pastries.  Cakes and cookies. Or how about a big crispy gooey cheese pizza with pepperoni.  A nice slab of a grilled rib eye steak perfectly charred.  For years I would slam down a whole pint of Haagen Das while watching TV.  At least 3 cafe con leches a day and so on and so on.  Never really bad processed foods but bad enough.  It is now fact that we take in a lot more carcinogens (not to mention antibiotics and hormones) through milk and animal consumption than we do through eating fruits and vegetables.  Because of this blog my diet has improved in a major way.  But diet is only one part of the Body, Mind and Spirit.  But in this blog I work mostly on improving the body through proper diet.  Trying to inform the reader an convince the reader that by eating the right foods along with exercise you can live a long and healthy life.  A woman the other day told me that she doesn't want to live to be 90.  But this woman now at 60 is over weight and her near future does not look pleasant.  People who are over weight and in their 60's deal with pain on a daily basis as well as other unpleasant side effects of being over weight.  Okay, so you don't want to live until 90 but how about living now, in the present and feeling good.  Since I have started this blog I have lost almost 10 pounds without even trying to and I have not been on any particular diet.  Two things I have cut out are processed flours and processed sugars.  So instead of the typical white flour I would normally use to make bread I now use a strong wholemeal bread flour and instead of white refined sugar I use a natural molasses sugar from unrefined cane sugar or I use blackstrap molasses.  And in this Wholewheat Brown Bread recipe I added some raisins to give it just a little more natural sweetness.

Simply divine


 Organic Wholewheat Brown Bread with Flaxseeds and Raisins
by Jeff Harter
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 3 hrs
Keywords: bake low-sodium nut-free soy-free sugar-free vegan vegetarian wholewheat flour


Wholewheat flour still has the bran and germ making it more healthy than the processed white flour. Black strap molasses is loaded with vitamins and minerals and has a much lower glycemic index
Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 cup warm water (100 - 105 F)
  • 7 grams
  • 2 tbsp black strap molasses or 2 tbsp unrefined dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 cups organic wholewheat flour
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 2 tbsp flaxseeds
Instructions
  • I cheat a little making bread because I use a bread machine. So this recipe is to be used in your bread maker. If you don't have one buy one it is totally worth the investment!

No comments:

Post a Comment